Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I REMEMBER





One of my earliest memories is peeling apples in my grandmother’s kitchen. This is also one of my happiest and warmest memories! No room in the house was short on love, but this was where she spent most of her time. She had some wonderful recipes, but nothing will ever taste as good as when she cooked it. Her whole house was spun with magic. I can remember every aspect of it with great clarity even though it’s been gone since around Thanksgiving of 1967. We lived on 82nd Street and Division Avenue in East Lake until the “Great Freeway” moved us out and tore everything down. It lives on in my memory and in the memories of all who loved it. My dreams transport me there regularly.

My mother and daddy, two brothers and I lived next door to my grandparents and Mother’s three sisters. All of us, along with some of the neighbors, moved between our houses like one big family. In the summer, we spent evenings under the big oak tree. We barbequed and made ice cream talking into the night when it would be a little cooler in the house. Two of my aunts married when I was young and moved to Georgia, but came back often. We had huge Christmas celebrations together and never seemed to get tired of each other. At least the children didn’t! My Aunt Lora didn’t marry until I was almost out of high school. She had an extra long time to spoil us!

We didn’t sit around the television except in the coldest part of the winter. We played games outside until they made us come in. It was such a simple, special time when parents didn’t have to worry about children being outside alone and the children never even thought of being scared. No computer games, remote controlled cars or dolls that talked, just a lot of imagination and energy. It is amazing that we had so much fun at so little expense.

I remember when I had my first pizza at the age of ten. It was from Carnaggio’s on 77th Street and 1st Avenue, North and it was wonderful. My baby brother’s face would be covered in pizza sauce. Our first fast food hamburgers came from McDonald’s in Roebuck. We couldn’t afford them very often and could choose between two hamburgers or one and an order of fries. My grandmother kept little bottles of Coca Cola for when her stomach was upset and would let us have one occasionally. My daughters look at me in wonder when I tell them these things. Could there be such a thing as a day without sodas and fast food?

Yes, the good times really were when we had less and did more. We were a close family and close neighborhood and I miss it, but I’ll always REMEMBER!

Laura Blanton
Copyright 1995

5 comments:

  1. Seeing the two pictures together makes me a little sad. Sometimes I wish the world would slow down! While I love having technology at my fingertips, I think my grandchildren are missing out on so much because they have so much. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very sad for those of us who remain too. When it happened, I think I cried for a year. Our world was destroyed, or so we thought. I agree that our children and grandchildren are missing out on a lot. Remember the anticipation on Christmas morning? Where did that go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    Another great story, although a bittersweet one! Seeing those photos is very disturbing, and must be very difficult for you.

    I had no relatives nearby while growing up, but the neighbors were like extended family! At least today I can still see the two places I grew up in, and have even been inside both (a duplex and an upstairs apartment in a house) somewhat recently, although it's kind of like an out-of-body experience! I can still visualize myself living there and enjoying every bit of my childhood and teen years.

    The 1950s was the beginning of the television era, and I watched some favorite programs, but also mostly played outside, biking, skating, hide-n-seek, jumprope, jacks, card games, etc., etc. I also had a 'pretend' store!

    I was sad that my elementary school was torn down (replaced by new apartments) and I wasn't happy that the church where I got married in 1964 was also torn down a few years after my wedding. It was old and in need of repair. Ironically, the church site is now the parking lot for a church of another denomination! My husband and I keep trying to figure out what parking space we said our vows in! (The 'new' church, completed in 1968, was built a few blocks away.)

    At one time my beloved hometown childhood playground and park was threatened by an overpass, but happily common sense prevailed and the overpass was finally built (after 25 years of discussion!) in a logical place, disturbing nothing in particular.

    I feel blessed to have grown up in such a magical time of freedom to play outside with no fear!

    It's good to share memories of 'those days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, it seems we shared a lot of the same experiences. What a wonderful, blessed time we had, huh? I have lost almost every place from my childhood. Every house I lived in is gone. My high school is closed after some years as a middle school. The elementary school is still there, but not for much longer. The airport is expanding and will soon take the park where my granddaddy taught me to fish. It is also where the pool once was where I took swimming lessons. It will also take my grammer school, the grocery store where shopped, the drug store, barber and the Krispy Kreme. Now, that's just not right! Ah, progress. Thank you for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your stories and your sharing of such special memories. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete